What’s the Buzz?
- Mosquitoes date back over 100 million years.
- There are over 3,500 species of mosquitoes!
- The journey from egg to adulthood (biting!) is about 4-7 days. They just can’t wait to start bugging us!
- Only female mosquitoes bite us; they need the protein from blood to lay their eggs.
- Speaking of eggs, a mosquito lays 100-300 eggs at a time, and they average between 1,000 to 3,000 in their lifetime!
- A few kinds of mosquitoes will fly only a few yards from their breeding ground for a meal. More typically adults will fly a mile or two to feed.
- The mosquito is actually the deadliest animal on earth, killing 725,000 humans each year.
Why is Mosquito Control Important?
- Mosquitoes carry diseases like Zika Virus, West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE).
- Most people have the typical reaction to a mosquito bite and get the telltale itchy red bump, but some people who are actually allergic have what is known as “Skeeter Syndrome,” which can cause blistering rashes, bruises, and swelling.
- We all know how annoying mosquitoes can be when you’re trying to enjoy your backyard and you have to keep swatting them away!
With help from Mosquito Joe of Gulf Coast Alabama, you can get ahead of any mosquito issues on your property this season by implementing the following habits:
In Alabama, mosquito season typically begins in early March. During this time we recommend protecting yourself when outdoors. Did you know mosquitoes can lay up to 300 eggs in a single bottle cap containing water? Combat mosquitoes and other pests by following these simple tips and tricks:
- Regularly empty ponds, bird baths, fountains, plant pots, buckets, or anywhere else that water may gather.
- Clean out gutters to avoid standing water – examine them for clots and damage that would cause water to collect.
- Drill holes in tire swings, trash cans, or recycling bins so water drains out.
- Keep swimming pools clean, properly circulated and filtered.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets.
- Cut grass and shrubs short, as adult mosquitoes gather to rest in shady, cool areas.
- Keep your yard weed-free and avoid overgrown vegetation.
A professional service like ours is the best way to combat mosquitoes. We Provide an ongoing defense and our certified technicians can point out problem areas and potential breeding grounds on your property during treatment.